Reed Road Park Shelter House
The Tri-Village Lions not only provided all the funds used to build the Shelter House in 1962, but actually did the building. The Lions broke ground for the Shelter House on March 29, 1962, with Upper Arlington city officials in attendance to witness the event. Over the course of the next few months, the Lions physically built the Shelter House, bringing in construction crews to assist when necessary, but preferring to do the work themselves whenever possible. From laying the foundation to finishing off the roof, Tri-Village Lions were active participants. One fireplace inside the Shelter House is dedicated to Lion President Julius Keitz (1953-54), while the other was funded by, and dedicated to, the Tri-Village Lions Auxiliary. The Lions’ efforts are commemorated by a plaque on the outer West wall, dedicated at the time the Shelter House opened on July 4, 1962. A second plaque lists the names of Lions who have since passed away, recognizing the dedication of the men and women who have given so much of themselves to the community.
Photo’s by Lion Michiel Brongers